The best topic

Replies: 10400
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 04:37:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

Pimp my ride

Started by Frood, February 07, 2019, 06:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Frood

(Woohoo!)

My ute canopy (camping) has finally arrived after months on the high seas.  :thumbup:

Made completely of steel and able to support over 300 kg of weight on the roof, it also boasts a side kitchen insert and drop down table on gas struts. I've been flicking my bean to the brochure photos of it for years now.

Also arriving next week are the electric caravan side mirrors so I can see directly behind when driving or backing up.  :smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:  It was a tossup between those or a LCD rearview mirror replacement with camera link but decided to pay slightly more for a sturdier mechanical option instead of something that would malfunction on the hot days with high UV through the windscreen which has been a problem with every glass mounted dash cam I've ever used.

Changed out the fuel tank from 80l to 140l a few months ago and got a 40l rear seat footwell water tank with good fittings. Also put all terrain kevlar reinforced tyres on at the same time, replacing the crappy factory ones. I've been using the kevlars over the years and love how you can still drive with nails or screws in them.

There are so many other things I've got but not had installed yet but I've been waiting to get the canopy so the remaining space can be perfectly measured.

Still need to decide on a rooftop tent, solar panels, hot water system, better bullbar, and what sized roof rack-basket to put on.

(I may post photos at a later date here when it's close to completion.)

How have you recently pimped your ride? Do you have a fast car or a tough 4x4 or maybe an asian compact that you have cool seat covers for and unique fluffy dice.  ac_biggrin
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

I sold a totally restored 1970 truck last year. I might buy another old vehicle and do the same.

Frood

I like the oldies but not many are diesel and changeovers are expensive plus headache.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"I like the oldies but not many are diesel and changeovers are expensive plus headache.

Not here. Diesels don't start unless plugged in our cold winters.

feral

Only thing ive been pimping are reno's on the home.

Next thing will be ducted air con..

Good for you Dinky...sounds like a project youve been doing awhile..

Frood

Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"(Woohoo!)

My ute canopy (camping) has finally arrived after months on the high seas.  :thumbup:

Made completely of steel and able to support over 300 kg of weight on the roof, it also boasts a side kitchen insert and drop down table on gas struts. I've been flicking my bean to the brochure photos of it for years now.

Also arriving next week are the electric caravan side mirrors so I can see directly behind when driving or backing up.  :smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:  It was a tossup between those or a LCD rearview mirror replacement with camera link but decided to pay slightly more for a sturdier mechanical option instead of something that would malfunction on the hot days with high UV through the windscreen which has been a problem with every glass mounted dash cam I've ever used.

Changed out the fuel tank from 80l to 140l a few months ago and got a 40l rear seat footwell water tank with good fittings. Also put all terrain kevlar reinforced tyres on at the same time, replacing the crappy factory ones. I've been using the kevlars over the years and love how you can still drive with nails or screws in them.

There are so many other things I've got but not had installed yet but I've been waiting to get the canopy so the remaining space can be perfectly measured.

Still need to decide on a rooftop tent, solar panels, hot water system, better bullbar, and what sized roof rack-basket to put on.

How have you recently pimped your ride? Do you have a fast car or a tough 4x4 or maybe an asian compact that you have cool seat covers for and unique fluffy dice.  ac_biggrin

Can you post a picture of it please.

Frood

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"(Woohoo!)

Can you post a picture of it please.

I probably will after the canopy is installed.
Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"I like the oldies but not many are diesel and changeovers are expensive plus headache.

Love diesel. All that mighty torque.

Frood

Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"
Quote from: "Herman"

Love diesel. All that mighty torque.

Better for towing.

Bricktop

My Landie has the Ford Duratorq 2.2 SD4 installed. The same engine as the Evoque.

190 PS (188 hp/142 kW) and 317 lb·ft (430 N·m). The grunt this thing has for a 2.2 litre engine is astonishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"My Landie has the Ford Duratorq 2.2 SD4 installed. The same engine as the Evoque.

190 PS (188 hp/142 kW) and 317 lb·ft (430 N·m). The grunt this thing has for a 2.2 litre engine is astonishing.

Even I know 2.2 litre is a small engine.

Frood

I've got the 3.2 Duratorq 5 cylinder. Uses a bit more juice but is worth it.
Blahhhhhh...

Bricktop

Used in the bigger Land Rovers. 2.2 is big enough for us. Getting around 9 litres per 100 in the city...down to around 6 on long trips. It's got plenty of grunt, but the standard 2.2 diesel uses less fuel. I thought we'd get better economy than we are. But it's still a little better than my 2.4 Honda Accord Euro.